Friday, October 14, 2011

Ate big at this joint in Austin

Toiyabe Cafe has some excellent eats
Ate big at this joint in Austin. Awesome downhill into town. I had to work for it though coming up the far side. Going to do a detour from 50 and head out Hwy 722. It comes well recommended. Looking forward to another night in the pinyon juniper forest. Really enjoying the lovely fall weather.

First business I passed in Austin was the Toiyabe Cafe.  It had a nice picnic table outside where I could keep an eye on my bike.  I walked in and ordered iced tea, fish and chips, side of onion rings and a dinner salad.  The woman working the counter here was quite friendly and got me all dialed in.  Surprisingly enough the fish was really good.  You could tell they battered and fried their own here vs just frying some pre made frozen fish.  I took my time eating this heavy meal and enjoying free refills on the iced tea.  I saw one other bike tour person climbing up out of Austin while I was out enjoying my lunch.  I hollered at them that they where going the wrong way.  I hadn't seen another person bike touring since I was on HWY 395 on day 2 of the trip.

dropped down the last of the descent and headed south onto HWY 722
I walked next door and picked up a few snacks at the gas station/ grocery store.  I got some info from the woman working the store that there wouldn't be much water in the Reese River.  I went back to the cafe and topped off all my water bottles for this dry leg.  I also called Micro Monkey and got some beta on HWY 722 which is a lonelier highway yet than HWY 50.  Sounded like a nice alternate and the idea that it took my higher into the mountains than HWY 50 was a plus too.  The folks inside at the cafe seemed to think I would like HWY 722 more than HWY 50 too.  HWY 722 it is.

I pedaled on through the last bit of town which was definitely cool.  I guess I didn't do any of the touristy stuff folks mostly do in Austin.  I just ate and split.  The nice downhill continued way out of town all the way to my split onto HWY 722.  Nice views of the snow capped peaks here.  It was hot out here so I unzipped my entire jersey and continued on this bumpy road.  There where some pretty big cracks in the pavement so I bumped along.  I was still happy to be over on this highway though as there was no traffic on it at all.  I crossed the valley and continued to the base of another range.  From here I climbed up again to a minor pass.

the ride up ontop of a minor pass
On the other side of the pass I descended a short ways, then continued on at 6,000 ft in a dry lake valley.  Really nice views off to the west of the Desatoya Range.  I started to look for a place to set up camp for the night and settled on another old two track road leading east up into the foothills of the mountains.  I was able to pedal my bike in granny gear up most of the road which eventually dead ended at a fence line.  I ended up riding part way back down the road and setting up the Duomid at a nice flat spot.

camped below Iron Mountain
It was nice and warm out this evening.  Completely still too.  I enjoyed more of my wine with my dinner and looked out across the valley in the moonlight.  Very quiet out here other than the cows balling occasionally.

3 comments:

  1. 722 is a beautiful road. You'll be going right past a farm owned by a friend of ours. Have a good ride back into town!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like an awesome trip! I've been following along on the rare occasions that I can pick up some internet service. It's cool to see you out there continuing to make trips like this. You're definitely still an inspiration to me as I wrap up my 'journey' or whatever it's become. Good luck the rest of the way!
    -Sam Fox

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ate breakfast at the Toiyabe Cafe. A very good country style home cooking joint. I stuffed my self before heading out and climbing the switch-backs out of town. I camped in an empty RV campsite. At about 9pm the owner comes out and was wondering what I was doing. Since it was October he thought it was quite strange since the site was basically shut down for the winter. I told him I had already put my fee in the mail slot in the office door. He said, "Oh. I didn't think to look in there because we're really not open for business." He was really nice after he realized I was an honest camper, not a squatter. The best part was the power hookups were still hot so I was able to charge my phone and iPod.

    ReplyDelete